Search This Blog

Friday 22 May 2020

Where is Lagbaja?

Image Source: www.musicinafrica.net

Through a conversation I had with a friend some days back, my attention was drawn to a music icon who has been quiescent in the music industry as of recent times. Am talking about Òpá Tàmèdù popularly known as “Lagbaja”. The Nigerian afro-beat Musician, singer-songwriter and percussionist just turned 60 recently. Despite the fact that his facial identity has been kept secret for a very long time, a lot of people being disturbed about the identity of the music icon has even posted some suggested pictures of him.

Growing up in the early 20th century, I came to love Lagbaja as a musician, what made me curious the most was the fact that I didn’t get to see his face. This increased my anxiety and made me watch his songs frequently to see if I can see or at least have an imagination of what he looks like. His name name “Tàmèdù” is a Yoruba word that means “nobody in particular” and this has made me wonder severally if that was the reason behind him not revealing his identity since the meaning of the name implies “nobody”. The Afro beat singer has won the channel O Music Video Awards - best Male Video for his song “Far Away”. His songs which also include “Nothing for You” Konko Below” “Knock Knock Knock”, are some of his popular tracks and has been one of the top Afro music in Nigeria. The last time he came to the Spot light was with Simi, she took to her Instagram Page to inform her fans of her performance with Lagbaja on 28th July, 2018 in Abuja. Till date no significant news has been heard about him, and this has been the worries of his fans including me, Pushing us to ask the question

Where is Lagbaja? 

No comments:

Post a Comment